Bad weather plan
This page gives details of emergency arrangements in place in the event of severe bad weather.
How to find out if the College is closed after a night or weekend of severe weather, or whether it is remaining closed:
- We will post important information on the front page of our website, usually by 7am.
- We will leave a recorded message on the College answerphone by 7.30am. Please contact as many other friends and parents as possible once you have listened to this message to avoid the College telephone line becoming constantly engaged.
- A text message will be sent out to parents via InTouch, our school communication service.
- Listen to the Radio announcements on: Heart FM Exeter 97.0 / 103 BBC Devon FM 95.8, 103.4 This service will also inform you of any school transport issues
- Students should check their College email as teachers may wish to email work to them.
What to do if weather conditions are poor but the College is not closed:
- If there is a risk that your child may not be able to get back home at the end of the day (eg, you live in an isolated location, and/or depend on public transport), stay at home.
- For students who travel by bus: Wait up to 20 minutes after the usual bus arrival time. If the bus does not arrive, go home. If school transport is not available in the morning, this will apply in the afternoon. If you choose to bring your child into College, it is your responsibility to make arrangements for their return journey.
- Students who can safely walk to school should do so. A programme will be run according to staff availability.
- Public Examinations must continue even if the College is closed. Candidates should make every effort to get to College but, if this is not possible, they must telephone the College as early as possible.
Closure of the College during the working day:
Occasionally, if the weather deteriorates during the day, we may decide to send students and staff home early while roads are still passable. Where possible, school transport will be provided as usual. Every effort will be made to inform parents that students are being sent home early. This will be done by a text message sent via InTouch.
If you are not usually at home during the day, please come to an arrangement with a neighbour/relative/friend who can look after your child if sent home early and make sure your child is aware of any arrangements made.
Please ensure your child is appropriately dressed with adequate clothing and sensible footwear.
- Nobody gains by winter closure; work missed must still be completed and exam syllabuses must be completed before the deadlines.
- Students should be encouraged to engage in some work at home on bad weather days, particularly students in Year 10 and above. Work will be emailed to students' school email address where appropriate. Students can access the student portal here: https://web.sidmouthcollege.devon.sch.uk/studentportal/