The English team comprises 6 members:
Mrs Angela Lucas (Head of Department)
Mr Andy Taylor
Mrs Sarah Fisher
Miss Claire Carnell
Miss Rachelle Stowell
What do students study?
Students follow courses for both English & English Literature. They may be entered for the WJEC GCSE course or Cambridge iGCSE.
The GCSE two year course covers: narrative writing; descriptive writing; speaking and listening; an extended text essay and analysing spoken language.
The iGCSE course covers: story and descriptive writing; persuasive writing and a response to current news articles. There is a speaking and listening assignment which counts towards the final mark.
The two year course covers: a study of drama, poetry and prose texts (Texts may include ‘A View from the Bridge’ and ‘Lord of the Flies’, for example).
How are students assessed?
For GCSE, controlled assessment accounts for 40% of the final qualification. They are written pieces that are undertaken in test conditions in the classroom. The remaining 60% is tested by examination and marked externally. The examining board is WJEC.
For iGCSE, the coursework (that can be re-drafted on computer) counts for 40% and the speaking assessment counts for 20%. The written exam, therefore, accounts for 40% of the mark. The exam board is Cambridge.
Contact Head of Department, Mrs Angela Lucas for further information: