Mrs Ceri Henkus (Head of Department)
Mrs Lisa Gallagher
Miss Katie Hindmarsh
Mr David Quinlan
What do students study?
Students study the WJEC GCSE Syllabus and expand on the skills and knowledge they have acquired at Key Stage 3.
Success in any language clearly relies on students being actively involved in lessons, participating in a wide variety of activities, having an interest in the culture, a desire to communicate with the people and a willingness to ‘have a go’! The courses are lively, practical and based on topics that students should find interesting, useful and relevant to the everyday life of young people.
Students continue to build on the four main skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. They are encouraged to take responsibility for their learning and to revise and check their progress regularly.
How are students assessed?
Students have to complete two spoken and two written controlled assessments during Year 10 and the first term of Year 11. These are done in school and sent to the exam board for moderation and marking. This makes up 60% of the exam. The remaining 40% of the GCSE mark is via two terminal-based exams which assess listening and reading skills.
Contact Mrs Ceri Henkus, Head of Department for further information: