Careers and Education Guidance
- The Careers Programme begins in Year 7 and continues throughout the College. It is taught mainly by the PSHE team, Tutors, supported by the Careers and Work Related Learning Co-ordinator who is the Careers leader for the school, staff from CSW enterprise and local business partners.
- The emphasis is on providing information and increasing self-awareness and decision- making. We encourage students to look carefully at their own abilities and preferences and to make realistic choices about the future. Careful planning can help you achieve your goals and, in Year 9, you begin more career focused tasks.
- In Year 9, you will be supported through the allocation of courses for GCSE. You will meet CSW staff, learn how to use the College’s Careers Library, take part in a Careers Roundabout to try out a variety of occupational taster sessions and, following this, investigate and prepare a presentation on an occupational area of interest.
- In Year 10, you will find out about the skills required for the world of work, as well as prepare yourself for Work Experience.
- In Year 11, the emphasis is on Post-16 Opportunities and preparation for interviews, including preparing application forms, CV preparation, learning how to prepare for an interview and having the opportunity to practise these skills with business partners in a mock interview. The Careers staff are available for advice and guidance throughout the year and all students are invited to attend a careers interview.
- Sixth formers receive help and guidance with Higher Education, financial capability and employment choices.
- Students of all ages are encouraged to make an action plan for their future and offered interviews with the CSW Adviser in order to discuss career options. The College has a fully-equipped Careers Library, which is available to students throughout the day. Information is also available on the computers in the Careers Library and office and on the internet.
- Sidmouth College has an Investors In Careers accreditation. You can view more information about the accreditation and the process the College has to go through here.