We have a very active and enthusiastic Student Council at the College. The Council is a group of students elected to act as the official voice of all students. Its members discuss and decide on issues that matter to students and are of wider benefit to the College as a whole.
To be a member of the Student Council you must:
- Be willing and able to regular meetings
- Be a good listener and communicator
- Be a good team-worker and have a positive mind-set
- Be keen to share, discuss and come up with original ideas
- Be an active and enthusiastic participant in College life
How can I become a member of the Student Council?
The student council election process is currently being revamped for the 2020-21 academic year. Watch this space for how to get involved.
What do Council members do?
The Council meet regularly. They work on an agenda of items devised by themselves and two supporting teachers, who are currently Mr Demetre and Mrs Chapple-Hyam. Discussions are on a democratic basis so that everyone is represented. The members set termly targets and advertise these in the assemblies. Senior leaders and Governors also have a role in supporting and authorising projects.
The aim of the Council is to allow all students to have a voice in the daily running of the College. Members of the Student Council also:
- Nominate and organise fundraising for a College charity (chosen annually) and support other fundraising activities such as Sport Relief and Comic Relief.
- Help interview prospective new staff.
- Model leadership and life skills to other students.
- Organise initiatives/events linking the College to the community, locally and globally.
- Help make decisions on behalf of their peers and represent their views when negotiating with staff members.
What things are we looking at changing?
This year, we would really like to encourage the student heads of house and house captains to organise and run more events. They will lead the school council and push to get decisions made.
We would also like to bridge the gap with 6th form and make this a whole school council.
There will be changes to praise and house identity.
We have lots of ideas about benefits and authoritative roles we can give to different students.
Again watch this space for more...